24. Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.  Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.  And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.  And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate. Dan 9. 24-27
This prophecy is very important for us to learn
Reason 1. This prophecy identifies who Messiah is.
Reason 2. Studying this prophecy unlocks every other time prophecies in Bible.
Reason 3. This prophecy proves day-year principle of interpreting time prophecies
Reason 4. This prophecy helps to protect from many end time delusions especially the ones concerning the country of Israel.
The prophecy is divided into several parts
1. Seventy weeks probation for jewish church to repent v24
2. Time from the commandment to rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah is 69 weeks
3. In the middle of 70th week Messiah will make an end to the sacrificial system by fulfilling the ceremonial law with His own death
4. After 70 weeks ‘abomination of desolation’ enters Jerusalem and destroys the city as punishment for not repenting.
In the beginning of chapter 9 we see Daniel praying for His people. Disobedience caused his people to become slaves in a foreign nation. It is now time for jews to return back to Israel. At the end of this chapter we find Gabriel helping Daniel to understand the vision. In Daniel 8. 27 we find Daniel astonishing at the vision of 2300 days and he was not able to understand it. So the vision which Gabriel is trying to help in chapter 9 should be that of 2300 days.
Gabriel says 70 weeks are determined ( hebrew – cutoff ) for Jews to repent and anoint the Messiah. This 70 weeks cannot be literal as it just covers a span of one year and few months. Applying the one prophetical day = one lietral year we arrive at AD 34 at the end of 70 prophetical weeks.
So what happened at AD 34 which sealed the probation of Jews. In AD 34 jews stone Stephen and killing showing that they don’t have remorse for killing Jesus and affirm that they will continue their rejection of Christ as Messiah. God chose Paul as an apostle to gentiles and thereby make Christian church as the new promised people. All the promises and blessings which were meant for Jewish nation will now shifted to the Christian church.
At the end 69 prophetical weeks i.e., 69 *7 years Christ was baptised in AD 31 and entered into public ministry.
In the middle of the week i.e., after 3 1/2 literal years Christ was crucified in the cross and fulfilled the ceremonial laws including sacrificial offerings.
15. When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)  Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:  Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:  Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.  And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! Mat 24.
Jesus predicted the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 as the fulfillment of Daniel 9.
Titus with Army destroyed Jerusalem and its temple which is a punishment of God for murdering His son.
Dan 9 exactly predicts the time of Messiah’s ministry and even the time of His death. It also helps us to decode other time prophecies by applying day-year principle.
And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; Mat 27. 51
Jesus died on the day of passover as the true passover. All the ceremonies of Jewish religion points to Christ. Since Christ fulfilled the ceremonial system there was no more need to the temple and its system.
God rent the veil of Temple as soon as Jesus died and also destroyed the temple in AD 70.